More places to visit: Stymphalia, Nemea, Trikala
Feneos Valley, one of the most beautiful areas of the Corinthia, is declared “Corinthian Switzerland” for its unique beauty.
It includes the former communities Moshi, Messina, Matiou, Ancient Feneos (Kalivion), Stenou, Feneos (Syvistas), Panorama and Upper-Lower Tarsus.
As centuries go by, the waters of both River Olbia and river Glory flew into the valley turning it into a lake, the lake Glory. Its construction as an artificial lake was completed in the late 1990s.
In the crystal water of the lake Glory, the beautiful peaks of Aroania and Kyllini reflect.
The region extends over Feneos, a large and triangular-shaped valley which is surrounded by dense forests on the mountains bounded on the west by the region of Achaia and on the south by the region of Arcadia.
The highest value of the Feneos valley is that it gathers many traces of the Greek mythology.
It is said that the sinkholes at the foot of the Saito mountain stealing water from the lake , they were made by Hercules but also another myth says they are the entrance to the Hades.
According to history, the first people to settle in Feneo are the Pelasgians and later, in 1900 BC, it was inhabited by Arcadians.
The Mycenaean center in Feneos was created by Achaeans in 1500 BC, which under the leadership of the King of Arcadia Agathinora
took part in the Trojan War.
In the northwest fringes of the plain Feneos and close to the modern Kalyvia, the ancient Feneos, the citadel of Feneos is rected. Between 1958-1961 excavations brought to light a temple dedicated to the God Asclepius.
In the center of the lake there is the church of Saint Fanourios . Previously there was the monastry of Saint George (the Dragonslayer), but because of the flood it moved a short distance from its original position at a neighbouring hill.
The monastery was founded in the 14th century and during the years of the Greek Revolution in 1821, it was used as the headquarters of the Society of Friends, led by the abbot of the monastery Nathaniel and with the help of other abbots of the neighboring monasteries. Afterwards the place was used by Theodoros Kolokotronis to hold meetings of chieftains from Arcadia and Corinthia,
and many wealthy residents helped significantly with money offers , making the monastry a great economic force in the region.
The monastery was renovated in 1754. It is a three-floor building with an internal courtyard
that houses the church of St. George with its cupola and its excellent mural paintings. The main feature of the temple is a wooden carved – gilded iconostasis describing scenes from the Old Testament.
The view from the balcony of the monastery is impressive and it is pure beauty for the eyes.
- Main monuments
The temple of Athena Pallas (daughter of Triton) with the statues of Hippias Poseidon and Artemis Evryppas.
- Visit to the sights of Feneos includes:
Monastery of St. George
Lady of the Rock
Antiquities of Feneos
Archaeological Museum of Kalivia
Folkloristic Museum of Feneos
Dam of Feneos
- Walking trails
Modern artificial lake “Glory.”
Lake Glory – Monastery of St. George of Feneos.
Lake Glory – Feneos (magical journey)
- Climbing routes
Artificial lake Glory – Top Ntourntyvanas – Top Triantafilia.
- Mountain Bike trails
Artificial lake Glory – saddle of the Kinigos (The Hunter) (Panorama).
Round Lake Glory – Kalyvia Feneos.
Artificial lake Glory – Feneos.
Demonstration of flat water-canoe
- Ecological activities
More places to visit: